RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:17:29 -0700

I've always followed the practice of only listing the last 15 years.
Unfortunately, that cuts some important experience, but one web site
(http://www.acornresume.com) suggests to put that stuff into a section
"Additional Experience."

Doing a short search on Google using "resumes age discrimination" as
search text, I found this site:
http://www.resumeedge.com/promo/samples.shtml. It's particularly
interesting because it lists sample resumes, with before/after/comments.
Good source of free information, if you're running out of ideas.

As to listing *every* job you've had, I've been surprised at the number
of managers I've had who look for gaps in employment history. If they
see something like a 6-month or year break, then they pointedly ask,
"what were you doing during that time?" Fortunately, I was always on the
hiring end of those kinds of interviews, but I've learned my lesson. In
my resumes, I make a point of listing only years, not specific dates, so
that no one can pick out blank spots.

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"Don't be afraid of mistakes. There aren't any."
--Miles Davis

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com