RE: xml/docbbok editors (was: Simplified DocBook)

Subject: RE: xml/docbbok editors (was: Simplified DocBook)
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:37:04 +0100

Hi Bruce -

thanks - I'd not heard of ktexmaker2 before,
it does look quite nice, but unfortunately
we're a Windoze shop these days. I already
took a look at a couple of windows tex
semi-gui editors like Scientific Word
but what they are weak on is things like
Tables -- in other words, visual markup,
where wysiwyg does actually have an advantage
over semantic markup (the _only_ place
where it does, I'd contend).

So generally my own feelings are that anyone
who can layout a table in latex without
GUI help doesn't need GUI help to write
\section{} and things like that :-)

I was hoping that while the same thing would
be true of xml editors, all that wysiwyg
gui code for editing tables and the like
would find its way into the xml editors,
without turning into Framemaker 7 style
hideousness. Maybe this is an impossible dream...

cheers,
Chris.

PS. Wish I'd spelt docbook properly on
the subject line... :-)

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com www.lightworkdesign.com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com