Re: More on drafts --

Subject: Re: More on drafts --
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:04:44 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>

> It is an ethical issue if a writer is hired and not told *all* the terms of
> employment and what is expected.
> There's really no question about this among professionals in the workplace.
> If you hire me, and you surprise me, you are guilty of being unethical in
> your behavior toward me.

You're kidding, right? You don't actually believe this?

Okay, let me see if I understand this. If Joe the Boss at Company X hires you, he
has to describe EVERY conceivable expectation to you the instant you're hired.
And if Joe or Company X changes their expectations, they must warn you in advance
- lest they become unethical.

First off, even if this was possible, it wouldn't make any sense. Since it would
assume that there is a never (or seldom) changing set of static expectations.
Which is hardly the case. Most organizations are in a constant state of change
and therefore a constant state of fluctuating expectations.

But mostly, no organization in the universe has the capability to tell a new hire
*all* the possible expectations. That's why there is training and why it can take
people months to "come up to speed" in a job. You can never expect to walk in the
door and get the entire job and all possible expectations laid out. There is a
delicate dance that ensues at any new job as a new employee finds their footing
and "learns the ropes."

Why must people see their job as a struggle between "them" and "us?" When a boss
tells you to improve in some area, did it ever occur to you that you might
actually need improvement in that area? At the very least, did it ever occur to
you that different organizations (and bosses) have different expectations. And
part of your job is to determine those expectations and then strive to meet (or
exceed) them.

Might want to think about that.

Andrew Plato

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com