Re: More on drafts --

Subject: Re: More on drafts --
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:52:39 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" wrote..

> I think the manager in question is behaving unprofessionally and I am
> surprised that the person who suffers under such a manager feels he has no
> choice but to leave the field of technical writing.
>
> It's outrageous. Unless an employee has advance notice that drafts must meet
> a certain standard, and advance notice that the manager may surreptitiously
> read one's drafts, the employee in question has a valid and serious gripe
> that I think he should take up with his manager's manager.

He has that warning...now. The boss has clearly told him that the roughness of
his drafts is unacceptable. Therefore, he needs to turn in more polished drafts.

> It is unethical to examine a document as if it were the work product without
> notifying the employee that drafts are going to be so viewed.

No. It wrong to fold your arms and fail to listen to the advice the boss is
giving. If you consistently turn in drafts that the boss says are unacceptable -
and refuse to change - then the problem is you, not the boss. The boss has made
his expectations clear. If you won't fulfil those expectations, then off you go.

> It really *is* a question of ethics, to me.

No it really isn't. Its a question of doing your job and adapting your work
habits to your environment. I fail to see an "ethical dilemma" here at all -
except maybe that the writer is not listening to his boss.

Andrew Plato

http://sbc.yahoo.com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com