Re: Process Documentation

Subject: Re: Process Documentation
From: nayanikay -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 02:08:33 -0600

Hi Lorraine,
I was thrown into just such a task in the company I worked for eariler.
There were a slew of projects that were being maintained and monitored by
a team of 40-50 people. The Service Agreement for these projects stated
that we had to monitor the applications and minimise downtimes by
proactively monitoring and driving issue-resolution.
So the first thing I did was to meet every single team member and project
manager and record what each role entailed by way of tasks and activities.
Once I learnt how everybody fitted in, I then got on to learn about the
project activities and daily issues, if any. One outcome of this study was
that I conceived of a task scheduler, a tool that automated task
scheduling and used by PMs to schedule and assign tasks to the team. The
interface of the tool was determined largely by the kind of inputs
required and the kind of reports required.
The best place to start would be on the floor and with some documents that
talk about the department, its activities and its deliverables.
Hope this helped a bit.
Nayanika

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com