Questions about the Technical Writing field

Subject: Questions about the Technical Writing field
From: jumays <jumays -at- vt -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:45:03 -0400

I am a technical writing student at Virginia Tech, and I would really
appreciate it if any of you could take a few minutes to answer some or all
of the following questions about the field of technical writing. Please feel
free respond to me off-list at jumays -at- vt -dot- edu and thank you for your help!

1. How/why did you become a professional writer?
2. What is your job title? job description?
3. What percentage of your time is spent writing, editing, or presenting?
4. What types of writing, editing, and presenting do you do?
5. Who are your audiences and what are their needs?
6. What things do your audiences expect from your documents or
presentations?
7. What is your biggest writing-related challenge on the job?
8. What about deadlines? How do they influence the way your write on the
job?
9. What standard and predictable processes (writing techniques,
organizational templates, heuristics for brainstorming, etc.), if any, do you
employ in profession-related writing?
10. What are the frustrations/rewards of your work?
11. What advice do you have for students?

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com