Role of a Technical Writer in IT - My take

Subject: Role of a Technical Writer in IT - My take
From: nayanikay -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 01:30:31 -0600

Hi,
Some of you have said it all I think. I would think a TW would need to do
the following and more to constantly add value:
1) Write
a) end-user documentation like
- User Manuals
- Quick Ref Guides
- Installation Manuals
b) Marketing Collateral like
- Proposals
- Response to RFPs and RFIs
- Case Studies
- Capability Statements
c) Project Documents like
- Project Plans
- Project Agreements
- Service Level Agreements
- Functional Requirements
- Software Specifications
d) Process documents
e) Content for websites
f) Technical Papers

2) Design, Develop and maintain
- Powerpoint demos
- webpages using HTML,JavaScript,DHTML
- applications using JSPs and beans
- prototypes using HTML and JavaScript
- Corporate Intranet

3) Edit existing documents
4) Design and maintain knowledge repositories and document stores
5) Test webpages and websites for User Acceptance and Usability
6) And the tools that go with all this.....
All this of course when the organization permits and encourages you to....
Nayanika

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com