Re: FWD: What's the significance of a draft

Subject: Re: FWD: What's the significance of a draft
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:25:25 -0700

Anonymous wrote:

how many rough drafts do you have before you perfect a document?

From my days as a university composition instructor, I can tell you that the number of drafts varies considerably between one person and another - and that the number of drafts is no indication of quality.

Some people can write almost perfect copy in a single draft. Others need six drafts, and still can't do as good a job.

Conversely, some very good writers have horrific first drafts, while other first rate writers redraft heavily.

To some extent, you can decrease drafts by reorganizing your writing habits, or by becoming more experienced,but you are highly unlikely to change your general tendency. If your best work takes six drafts, you might be able to reduce the number of drafts to five or even four, but you probably won't reduce it to two.

If you're faced with deadlines, you need to know not only how many drafts you require for your best work, but also how many you need for acceptable work.

Otherwise, the number of drafts,or their state doesn't matter, except for self-organization. What's important is the final quality, not the quality while the work is in progress.

Your boss overstepped common courtesy, although technically acting within rights. However if he or she is worried about the final quality, then finish a short section to the level you would like to work and show it to your boss as soon as possible.

You should also explain that hardcopy is a useful way to get a new perspective and the only efficient way to edit; if you search on the internet, you should be able to find validation for this widely known fact.In fact, you might start with the list archives, since this point has arisen before.

"I'm just trying to rid the world of all these fevered egos that are tainting our collective unconscious and making us pay a higher psychic price than we can imagine."
-Bill Hicks

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com