RE: What's the significance of a draft

Subject: RE: What's the significance of a draft
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:02:11 -0400

Anonymous asked:

> Background: I ask because over the holiday weekend, my boss
> pulled a rough
> draft from my cube that I had printed on Friday (for my own
> review when I returned on Wednesday), and went through it.

THAT was rude.

> Of course there were many
> errors. I was shocked to walk in this morning and be confronted about
> this. Moreover, this individual began to question my editing
> skills, and said that my rough draft was too 'rough'.

Oh fer ... *pahhh*

> We were not pressed for a
> deadline, and I cannot help but feel set up.

Yes, I think your feeling is justified. Welcome to the wonderful world of
micromanagement.

> I tried to explain that it
> was a rough draft not meant for any one's eyes, but he/she
> wanted to know
> why I had even bothered to print it out. I suppose that I
> could get with the times and edit online, but I find that I
> personally edit better from printed materials.

And THAT is a good enough reason, especially since this person has
questioned your editing skills.

> We never edit each other's work here, we do not have an
> Editor, and I have never had any one go into my desk and hunt
> around for incriminating draft work.

I wonder if this person would criticize a prenatal ultrasound ...

> How do all of you handle draft material? Do you edit at home
> to avoid this type of situation?

That's a nice option to have, but it's an unreasonable working condition
unless you're a consultant.

> Has this scenario ever happened to any one else?

Only when someone demanded that I send him a draft. Afterward, he demanded
that all drafts be typo-free. THAT is a waste of time.

> Do you edit online

Prelims.

> or in print

Later versions.

> and why do you prefer doing that way?

I can spot stuff in print that I can't spot on screen, and I can move the
printout to a more comfortable location (like my bathtub).

> If you print the draft out on paper, do you mark it a certain way to
> identify it as an editor's copy? - I had written on it in red pen (a note
> to myself concerning various items to look specifically for), and the word

> "Draft" was in the header.

If someone can find something on my desk <grin>, it's a draft. My finals
are submitted electronically or left on someone else's desk. There's the
odd thing that's stuffed into a folder, but that's about the only exception.

Sláinte ... Kim

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com