RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: RE: Knowledge Management
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:37:18 -0400

>A search with the search engine at http://www.google.com on any of these
terms results in a lot of hits.

>Knowledge Management 3,590,000
>Single Source 3,920,000 (Single Sourcing 157,000)
>Usability and Design 502,000 (Usability 1,060,000, Design 61,900,000)

Its not so much that simple questions are dinged (most of us can't handle
more than simple questions)...it's when it is apparent that the question was
sent to 4,000+ people without doing at least a minimum of work on their own.

Yes, entering Knowledge Management generates millions of hits. However, only
a novice newbie does research that way. Instead, enter a search term such as
"Knowledge management definition" give the following return with them at the
head of the list:

----------

The ABCs of Knowledge Management - Knowledge Management Research ...
... What is knowledge management? Unfortunately, there's no universal
definition of KM,
just as there's no agreement as to what constitutes knowledge in the first
www.cio.com/research/knowledge/edit/kmabcs.html - 31k - Cached - Similar
pages

What Is Knowledge Management
... Thomas Bertels provides the following definition of Knowledge
Management. Knowledge
management is the management of the organization towards the continuous ...
www.km-forum.org/what_is.htm - 19k - 3 Sep 2002 - Cached - Similar pages

Intranet Journal: Knowledge Management 101
... As with many new terms, the definition of knowledge management depends
on who you're asking. ... Wally's Definition of Knowledge Management. ...
www.intranetjournal.com/articles/ 200011/ic_11_29_00a.html - 63k - 3 Sep
2002 - Cached - Similar pages

Knowledge Management
... Definition. Knowledge assets are the knowledge regarding markets,
products, technologies
and organisations, that a business owns ... Knowledge management ...
they know" and be able to make...
Category: Reference > Knowledge Management
www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~alm/kamlnks.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Knowledge Management Definition - APQC
... Knowledge management is a conscious strategy of getting the right
knowledge to the
right people at the right time and helping people share and put information
www.it-consultancy.com/extern/apqc.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

-----------------------

Seems like a better place to start than "Knowledge management confuses
me...please send me resources."

BTW...in case anyone didn't know...if you enter a term in the search string
preceded by a minus, that term is excluded and if you enclose the term in "
", you get hits where that term is together rather than vicinity.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com