Re: Techwriting history

Subject: Re: Techwriting history
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:13:18 +0100

OK, you caught me being flippant. Mea culpa.

As an example of writing from the user perspective, I thought it was
extremely effective, hence its impact. It handled the delicate matter of
sending the user to his death in easy stages. The young pilot would have no
surprises along the way. The last time I read anything like this, it was in
a self help book on dying. <shudder>

It must lose a lot in translation, and by being taken out of cultural and
temporal context.

<letoured -at- together -dot- net> wrote in message news:166822 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Its an issue of perspective. Anyone who has been in the military, and
> experienced the moment when death is near or possible or expected, would
> understand the language. Anyone who has written manuals where know-how
was
> the basis of the job, would understand the language.
>
> Its actually quite well written. It would more interesting to know how
much of
> the impact is lost in the translation.

> letoured -at- together -dot- net

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com