RE: another word for steps

Subject: RE: another word for steps
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:52:05 -0400

First, I think the confusion between STEPS and steps may be
illusory. Especially if you NEVER x-ref to the STEPS from
within the steps. If you have to (as in "skip ahead to Step
4. Frammis...") then you could follow this example.

==========

FRAMMISING THE MARK IV HOOZISTAT

To frammis the hoozistat, you'll follow these general steps:

1. Remove the access plate.
2. Strip away the old membrane.
3. Expose the hoozistat.
4. Frammis with the frammulizer.
5. Cover the hoozistat.
6. Install a new membrane.
7. Replace the access plate.

Details of these steps follow below.

1. REMOVING THE ACCESS PLATE

Here is some background text about removing the access
plate. It sets up the following detailed steps.

To remove the access plate:

1. Strike the topmost bolt head smartly.
2. Use a 14 mm crescent wrench to remove the bolt.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the remaining bolts.
4. Allow the access plate to fall to the ground.

2. STRIPPING AWAY THE OLD MEMBRANE

Etc. Etc.

I think you get the idea. Set up the meta-steps with the
numbered list. Repeat the numbers to give them a sense of
where they are in among the meta-steps. If you x-ref
restrict the word "step" x-refs among the little steps. To
x-ref to a meta-step, omit the number. Example:

If your hoozistat is an earlier model than the Mark IV, skip
ahead to "Installing a new membrane" later in this topic.

Bear

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com