Re: Not exactly another single source question....

Subject: Re: Not exactly another single source question....
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:11:57 -0700

You didn't mention a tool, and a couple of listers have
already mentioned Frame's conditional text, so...

In Word, you have a couple of options.

1.
File > Properties custom tab allows you to create custom
document variables and assign values to them -- all right
there in your developer's "central location". The variables
are called into the document using docproperty fields.
While this is the easiest approach, I am not sure if there
is a limit to the number of docproperty variables you can
create or how much text they can hold.

2.
There are also SET and ASK fields that allow you to SET
information at the beginning of the document and repeat it
throughout, or ASK for the value each time you print the
document and repeat it throughout. Again, this info is
pulled into the document using fields.

3.
IMO, the easiest way to handle the screenshot problem is
by storing all of the shots in a single directory and
using INCLUDEFILE fields to call them in. Make sure to
name the Walmart set identical to the Target set and copy
the complete sets of graphics into the master directory
for printing.

Once you get your fields set up, create autotext entries for
them. For example, if you've created a <storename> docproperty
and assigned it a value, then created a field to call it into
the document, you could then copy that field into autotext and
name it store. Then, when you type store and hit F3 (or Word
will suggest if it's 5 or more letters), the field shows up
and the correct store name is inserted into the doc.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

At 01:42 PM 8/23/02 -0600, Paul Strasser wrote:

...is there some solution in which I can have a Master Location where I can
create a list of replaceable terms (and replaceable screen captures) that
will tie into the base document? What I'm imagining is some sort of system
where we get a new client (Target, for example) and I can go into the Master
Location, enter the 45 terms unique to Target, create the 15 screen captures
unique to Target, save this version of the Master Location, then click a
button and a brand new, complete document is created by sticking all the new
Master Location terms into the base document.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com