Re: Understanding verbal communication in a team

Subject: Re: Understanding verbal communication in a team
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> The problem is that while each person (there are 7 people on the
> team...manager, application 2 SMEs, 2 database SMEs, 1 network
> infrastructure SME, and me, the writer-SME) can be understood with minimal
> effort, one of them has such a strong accent that less than 10% can be
> understood even with dedicated effort.
>
> The manager is aware of this problem, and in the long term, may be a problem
> for the SME. However, until then, it is a problem for me and if I can work
> out how to better communicate him, it may eliminate some of the problem for
> him too.

John, the first thing that comes to mind is to ask if you can get more of the
information from this SME in writing. I think that often people who have accents
that are difficult to understand can be much better understood when they write.

Accents are difficult for some speakers--and some listeners. Some people can hear
better than others and can consequently (in my opinion) learn to speak so they are
better understood. But everybody can't do that. That's why I would think that
getting information from this SME in writing might be better for you, for the
project, and for the SME.

Oh, and another thought. You didn't say if others in the group speak the same native
language. If any of them do, perhaps one could act as translator?

Both of these suggestions will no doubt seem awkward. I suspect that the SME also
knows he/she has a problem being understood and might appreciate someone coming up
with alternatives that might help with understanding. You might find this SME a gold
mine once she/he understands that you want to work together to overcome, rather than
complain about, the problem.

Good Luck, John!

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 07/19/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are mine...at least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com