Re: Permission for linking to Web sites

Subject: Re: Permission for linking to Web sites
From: Tuples -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:44:59 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/02 12:29:29 PM Mountain Standard Time,
mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com writes:

> I recently saw an article in the NY Tiimes about a lawsuit in which some
> major website (like cnn.com or one of those - don't hold me to that link)
> sought to prohibit "deep linking," the practice of linking to a page other
> than the home page of a site, thus bypassing the popup ads and going
> directly to content.
>
> I don't recall the outcome, but I found the concept interesting. It's a
good
> argument for putting your identifying info, copyright statement, etc. on
> every page.

This is a hot topic. Here is what I do. If the site provides a "Links" page,
I link to them if their site is in line with my site. However, they might ask
for a reciprocal link, which is impossible in some cases. I send an e-mail to
tell them I want to link. Generally, if the site is promoted and designed for
public consumption, there is no legal reason you can't link. IMO!

Generally, if the site is promoted and designed for public consumption, there
are many legal reasons you can't link. IMO!

Generally, if the site is promoted and designed for public consumption, they
will sue you if your pockets are deep

Generally, if the site is promoted and designed for public consumption, they
will threaten to sue you regardless

Generally, if you call out the name of the site in the throws of passion, you
will be sued by the owners and customers.

Generally, you will eventually get sued for no darn reason.

When we talk about links, some people think all links are equal. For example,
putting Mickey on my site will incur the wrath of the Disney Folks. They are
protective of the mouse and how it is used.

At one time, people would link to the image. This does not put the mouse
physically on your site, but it does put the image on your site. A case can
be made that if you link to an image, you know you can't legally use the
item, and a link is your way of getting around restrictions. Some clip art
sites warn you of linking to an image because the link changes or if
thousands of people visit your site with a link to the sites clip art, it
increases their bandwidth.

It seems to me that if it is info that might not change all that much, you
can get permission to use the stuff on your site without external links.
Especially if it is an internal web site

Now, I will hide. I feel the Disney Lawyers will get me for mentioning Mickey
without permission.

Bob

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com