RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:05:37 +0100

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:28:13 -0400, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com wrote:
>$kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:
>$
>$|Diane wrote about "hilarious" job ops:
>$
>$|>Or how about this one: Leading Media company seeks talented $|>and
>motivated technical writer to provide technical documentation $|>and
>marketing support for a proprietary online tool." $|>It pays $20 - $25 an
>hour.
>$
>$|I'm confused - you're out of work, but snubbing what is potentially $|a
>50K-per-year job? (52K if you don't take a vacation)
>$
>$I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction. We are we $talking
>US dollars, right, Diane? What was the joke again?

Well, *I'm* confused. If it's a straightforward salary job, that would be a
good rate - just over 30K a year based on 37.5 hour week and 49 weeks a
year. If it were a contracting job, it would be a crummy rate: it converts
to 16.50 GBP an hour, which is *very* low for the south-east of England, and
fairly low even for the south of Scotland.

True, work is not to be sneezed at, and if I were hungry/unemployed I'd take
it, but to *me* it looks like a low hourly rate for a contractor, especially
an experienced one.

Jane Carnall
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith
my control. Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com