RE: Jobs, Statehood, and Opinions Better Left Said

Subject: RE: Jobs, Statehood, and Opinions Better Left Said
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:48:53 -0400

Keith Cromagnon wrote:

>Among other things, the finely honed global consciousness of
>Thomas Eagles offered this pearl:

Should 'finely honed' be hyphenated? Just wondering. I need to know so I
can put that line in my memoirs.

>>Question: if you make a coding error in India, do they cut off your
>>hand, or is that only in Saudi Arabia?

>Thomas, a quick Googling will yield many sites where such
>attempts at humor are appreciated; even sought after. Try
>using "racist" and "jokes" as search terms - you'll get tons of hits.

Or try looking up India+arranged+marriage+murder and see if anything
interesting comes up. I'll bet there are some stories that would turn
your stomach. Okay, maybe not *yours*.

And that's certainly not to say that all Indians are barbarians. Not at
all, and please don't misconstrue a criticism as a generalized prejudice
-- though, I'm sure you will. But India certainly does have its share of
barbarism, doesn't it? You don't often hear of North American Christians
or Jews killing their daughters for refusing to accept an arranged
marriage. But that's just one example, and there are countless others
that are similarly disturbing, disgusting, and unbelievably inhumane. My
guess is that the Indians who come to Canada (or the US) do so mostly
because they do not support the 'old ways.' I wish that was the only
reason Islamists came to Canada and the US; 9-11 proves otherwise. Hope
I'm not bringing you down, Keith. You were probably happily munching
away on a turnip when you opened this e-mail, and now you'll probably
wish you had waited 'til later to eat your rabbit food. Or is it lemming
food?

>I hope you direct any further messages you have in this vein
>to one of those other sites. There they will probably reach an
>audience much closer to the same level of enlightenment as you.

Funny how Keith and others like him think they are the voice of reason
here. Hey, Keith, here's a bit of advice: look at your driver's license.
If the name there isn't Eric Ray, leave the list admin to someone else,
and send these sorts of messages to yourself first before forwarding
them to the list. By the time you get the message back, you may realize
how stupid it was to send it.

The above was un unnumbered procedure, BTW, for the tech writing tie-in.
Just trying to follow the posting rules. <g>

I'm glad there was a voice of reason here: er, mine; yours, sadly, was
not. Visit any credible newspaper on the Internet. Do a search on their
site for crime and punishment in India and Saudi Arabia, as I suggested
above (for things that here may not even be against the law). Open thine
eyes, think, then tell me (us) about racism and atrocities of the human
spirit committed in those two countries (just examples, several other
countries could substitute).

Funny how it's racist or xenophobic to call a spade a spade regarding
India and Saudi Arabia, but it's not racist for Pakistani extremists to
cut off the head of a Jewish reporter and film it. Or Indian villagers
to beat a girl to death for daring to fall in love with a man NOT picked
for her by her parents. Of course, we Westerners don't understand the
morality or justification or other reasoning for this, so we shouldn't
try to put it in our own terms, eh, Keith? We're barbarians and we just
don't understand such old cultures that are so full of colour and
tradition, right?

It doesn't do at all to expose the dirt behind the daydream, does it,
Keith? Give me a frickin' break.

Keep pullin' those race cards, Keith. Sooner or later you'll be right.

Tom

-- But I thought YOU did the backups...

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com