Re: Your power animal

Subject: Re: Your power animal
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 17:10:16 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

This is a factor of personality, attitude, age, responsibilities, income...etc.
Some people have hyper-motivated personalities and will work until they are
practically dead. Other people are not as motivated and shoot for a calmer life.
And then there are those that are just wastes of space that contribute virtually
nothing to this great ball of dirt in space.

Well, it's true that Isaac Asimov claimed that, when asked if he would rather make love or write, he responded that he would rather write, because he could write for ten hours a day.

However, just because you love something doesn't mean that you want to do it to the exclusion of everything else. For example, I'm a fanatical runner. I've been doing it since I was eight. I no longer compete, but /I feel out of sorts if a day passes without a run. It relaxes me, and energizes me. Yet even though it's a virtual necessity for my mental and physical well-being, I don't want to spend more than a hour or so a day doing it./ Not only do I have other interests that I love just as much, but I wouldn't want to devote that much time to it, even if I had nothing else to do.

And please, don't give me the "we don't have any choice" answer. We all have
choice. Bad choices are opportunities unless you chose to see them as roadblocks.

Oh, please.

The fact is, sometimes, you can clap your hands, but Tinkerbell still dies.

Courage and will can do amazing things, but they aren't all-powerful.We are not autonomous beings unaffected by circumstances and others.

I can't wish that anyone learn the limits of these traits, because that lesson inevitably involves something painful.But I do worry when the myths that we live our lives by become too far removed from reality.

So, what is your power animal? Are you a tiger or a tree shrew? An elephant or a
earmite? A slippery penguin or an oafish gorilla? A tricky fox or a foxy trout?
How do you define yourself? A "show up, do the job, get the f*** outta Dodge"
kind of jungle lizard or a "get the f*** outta my way, I'm going to make this all
work and leave you all in my dust" kind of mammal?

Just call me a macaw. I want to explore everything, and I'll challenge any attempt at dominance that I see. ;-)

"A story untold could be the one that kills you."
- Pat Conroy, "Beach Music"

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com