RE: Like long hours?

Subject: RE: Like long hours?
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:01:52 -0600

What I'm hearing in this thread is a frustration with how companies no
longer provide the life-long employment, advancement, and retirement
benefits of my father's generation. Companies of today hire and lay off
workers based on quarterly results. The individual employee is responsible
for managing his or her career and planning for retirement.

As with most things in life, there is more than one way to look at this
predicament. One can choose to be depressed and complain about faceless
corporations taking advantage of lowly workers, or once can see the new
business climate as an opportunity.

Robert Kiyosaki's books (Rich Dad Poor Dad being one of them) changed many
of my opinions about work and compensation. Taking control of your own
career and financial future can be liberating.

In the past couple of years I have done some consulting in addition to my
regular 8 to 5 job. Eventually the consulting lead to a software product and
my wife and I formed our own limited liability company. I still work at my
regular job, write code in my spare time, and my wife stays home with the
kids and manages the business.

Rather than spend the extra money that we earned, we just purchased our
first condominium which we are leasing to a couple of graduate students.
With interest rates at historic lows, this is a golden opportunity to make
some wise investments. We intend to purchase additional properties next
year.

The point of all this is that it is not your employers responsibility to
build wealth for you. That's your responsibility. The good news is that you
can choose to work in a field that you enjoy and still build wealth through
hard work and by making wise investment decisions.

Martin R. Smith

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com