Secondly vs. Secondarily

Subject: Secondly vs. Secondarily
From: "Blount, Patricia" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:50:39 -0400

Hi,

I have a huge headache. I have already taken two aspirin and wonder if some kind soul will help me clarify the distinction between the two words "secondly" and "secondarily".

I have looked up both definitions in three different dictionaries and I know both are adverbs. "Secondly" is the adverb form of "second" and "secondarily" is the adverb form of "secondary".

Are they synonyms? How would you contrast their usage?

I have been staring at this for so long now, words are blurring together and I am contemplating a career change. I hear 7-11 needs Slurpee makers...

Many thanks,

Patty B.

Patricia A. Blount
CA Education