RE: techwr-l digest: August 01, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: August 01, 2002
From: "Blount, Patricia" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:01:50 -0400

In response to building a portfolio without violating company confidentiality rules, please follow Ed's advice. We're writers! Write something. For legal reasons, my company refuses to permit be to "test" potential new hires, citing laws that state such tests must be equitable, yada, yada, yada...

About two years ago, I interviewed a potential candidate who took the cool, new digital watch off his wrist and said, "Here, see if you can figure out how to set this."

As much as it pains me to admit this, given my technical expertise, I could not.

He then took out his briefcase, a short document he'd authored that explained step by step how to set the date and time. In fact, I found a question forming in my mind as I worked through his steps, which was answered nearly as soon as I'd thought it... we hired him on the spot.

At my current employer, I hired a graphic artists who illustrated a computer-related article published in Time Magazine, which she brought with her. Her illustration did a phenomenal job of clarifying the rather dry content.

My own portfolio contains such examples, plus true technical work for which I have permissions to use.

Good luck, hope this helps,

Patty

Patricia A. Blount
CA Education