Re: distiller/fonts

Subject: Re: distiller/fonts
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:44:09 -0600

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Excellent research. You've confirmed your hypothesis admirably. The
> fonts in question are definitely delivered with Distiller, however;

Oops, I replied to Dick off-list without realizing that he'd copied both me
and the list (dazzled by the praise, I suppose...).

In the interest of setting the record straight (and saving someone a search
for their "missing" Distiller fonts), these fonts aren't included with
Distiller 4 or 5. From a posting of Dov's ("Re: Font Embedding error in
Distiller," 21 Feb 2001):
------------
All Adobe PostScript 3 devices except Acrobat Distiller shipped with 136
faces including the base 35. Acrobat Distiller 4 and later officially
contains 6 faces -- 4 faces of Courier plus Symbol and ITC Zapf Dingbats.

Many Adobe products do "bundle" host fonts. NONE currently put them into
your C:\PSFONTS directory or install them for ATM. And NONE of the current
versions of these applications include any of the "base" fonts you mention
except Courier, Symbol, and ITC Zapf Dingbats.
------------

Thanks for the kind words, though, Dick!

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer