Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: Margaret Tarbet <oneko -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:09:01 -0400

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:33:43 -0600,
Keith Cronin wrote:

>Sorry, but when I spill coffee on my lap pulling out of McDonald's, it's
>MY fault. Whether it was an accident or not. Whether it was stupid or not.
>Whether I'm badly hurt or not. My fault, ergo it's my problem.

If you're referring to the now-infamous incident of the woman
suing McDonalds, you should probably be aware that
a. her car was parked, not moving, and she was sitting in the
passenger seat
b. the coffee was so hot that it gave her third-degree burns
(i.e., it burned _through_ her skin) requiring grafts and a full
week in hospital.
c. McDonalds's records revealed an average of 70 burns/year
ranging from mild to third-degree, but they refused to reduce the
near-boiling temperature of the coffee.

For further information, see
http://www.fair.org/extra/9505/legal.html

It's always good to have accurate information before writing,
right?

Margaret

--
Never cry over spilt milk, it only makes it salty for the cat.