RE: ISO Doc Management

Subject: RE: ISO Doc Management
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:18:13 -0400

Instead of a flowchart, consider establishing a portal on your intranet
server. I can't show you ours (for confidentiality reasons), but, for
example, you could set it up wit:

* Your Corporate ISO logo on the top, conveying the ISO message. A
confidentiality message. Maybe also a HELP button.

* Buttons for each functional area on the left; clicking a button leads to
subordinate hierarchical areas.

* Content area in the middle; the heading has the identification and
description, and the body can have links to relevant documents, etc.

* Links to other functional area, team member names and contact info for the
people in that contact area.

* The usual feedback, navigation, and HELP buttons/links on the bottom,
along with your confidentiality message.

Portals are hip and web-oriented. People are used to the metaphor from
portals such as Yahoo! They provide the same ease of maintenance that you're
looking for, while hiding the gears and cranks (well, OK, there'll be plenty
of the other kind of cranks to deal with!<G>). You can readily find
commercial or even shareware portal software that should suit your purpose.

Above all, don't let the tail wag the dog! The tool or setup you use is less
important than providing an environment (around here, they call it a "user
experience") that people will actually use.

Good luck!

Marguerite

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l