Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:26:04 -0700

> That's always been my strategy.
>
> BTW, I heard that the policy at my old job that limited the number of
consecutive hours at something like 12 (though this was violated whenever
needed badly enough) was based upon an incident that happened a few years
before I got there. It seems that at deadline time people would actually
work multiple days at a time, until one idiot worked so long that he ended
up wrapping his vehicle around a tree on his way home.

In my instance, close.

While doing a $200+ million RFP response, I was coming to a close on the
deliverable after 6 straight 80 hour weeks. I was driving home, about 45
miles each way, about 2 in the morning, VERY tired...about 4 inches of snow
on the road and coming down hard. At the time, I drove a big early 80's
Dodge Ramcharger V8 4X4. Started to doze behind the wheel, woke up just as I
was leaving the road onto a big field. Aside from the fact that because of
my size, barely felt the bump as it went over the curb, good things it was
2am on a local highway so there was nobody around and because of the snow,
was only doing 35mph..

Hey...it was my first contract as a technical writer...what did I know.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
john -at- tdandw -dot- com