Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 05:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

I'm afraid I won't be of much help to you, either. <g> Way back in the '80s, I
taught English Composition at a major state university here in the U.S. One of the
early exercises I did was to invite the class to give me all the 'rules' of writing
they had been taught to that point. Invariably, in 50 minutes I would fill a wall of
blackboards with all sorts of pseudo-rules like that which you mentioned in your
original post.

English is a very flexible language. No doubt the determined researcher will find
text supporting one or another (or several) rules of things one should not do in
English when writing. But the truth is that there are very few hard, fast rules, and
you can find sterling examples of English prose that violates the so-called rules.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 07/19/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are mine...at least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

http://health.yahoo.com