RE: editor to writer ratio

Subject: RE: editor to writer ratio
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:28:25 -0700 (PDT)

I won't claim my situations have been typical, but except for the first job I had as
a Technical Writer where we had 3 copy editors, a technical illustrator, and four
writers, I've never worked in a place that had editors, or if I did they didn't work
on my stuff because I was a contractor.

Now I'm not going to say that editors aren't needed--I happen to think they're
needed greatly--but the trend I've seen is that technical editors are a diminishing
breed. More's the pity. Their place has been taken by the technical review and the
peer review, and these reviews are, IMHO, too often treated as optional. But there
you have it, for what it's worth. I guess most businesses see editors as not being cost-effective.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 07/19/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are mine...at least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

http://health.yahoo.com