eLance

Subject: eLance
From: "Robin Willard" <rwillard -at- education -dot- wisc -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:35:38 -0500

I have been a member of eLance since April. I have bid on several
projects and won a few. There are several things I find difficult
with eLance: 1) it's hard to get work if you have no experience and
hard to get experience if you can't get work; 2) the frequent lack of
clear project descriptions on which to base your bid; 3) if there's a
way to size up my competition in the bidding process I haven't yet
figured it out--the winners aren't very often the ones I would have
chosen; and 4) if you have questions about the project before bidding
it is almost impossible to get clarification from the buyers if they
don't open Private Message Boards.

The only membership category, it seems to me, that gets paid what
it's worth is Web Design and Development. A near second would be
Software and Technology. I got into the Writing and Translation
category when it was still $288. Today it will cost you anywhere from
$360 - $580 to join the Writing and Translation category (depending on
if you chose the Basic or Select plan), more if you don't pay for a
year at a time.

All that said, I plan on re-upping next April because: 1) eLance
has now created a way for you to have your current clients post their
projects and invite only you to bid, with the belief that your current
clients will provide you feedback to help you gain other eLance jobs.
(You still have to pay the eLance fee on those projects); 2) I have
had the opportunity to work on projects, like web content, that I
haven't worked on before; 3) it's easy to invoice a client and receive
payment; and 4) I now understand that as a Select provider I may bid
as a Basic provider in categories other than what I paid for, which
has opened up many other opportunities.

I don't think this is a way to make a living but it has been great
for some new skills and a nice down payment on a 22 foot sailboat!

Robin Willard
Willard & Associates
Professional Writing and Research Services

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l