Converting documents - print to online

Subject: Converting documents - print to online
From: rbilbao -at- us -dot- amadeus -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:57:00 -0400

Hello everyone,

Question: my department is in the middle of converting documents (user guides,
installation guides, quick reference cards, etc) to HTML so they can be
displayed online. The source documents are in Word most of the time, but some
are pdf files. We started out using BCL Magellan (word -> pdf -> html) but were
quickly turned off by it's limiting HTML source code. We're spending too much
time reconverting documents for minor edits, because we can't quickly edit the
HTML files Magellan creates due to the complex kind of absolute positioning it
uses to structure documents.

Can anyone suggest a way around this? Ideally, we'd like to keep sources in word
and pdf for print, but be able to put them online for users to view. I know that
you can link to a doc or pdf file and have the user download it, but we would
like it to be viewable not downloadable. I tried searching for this in the
archives but came up with very little to go on. Also, does anyone know if
RoboHTML can convert pdfs?

Or perhaps someone can suggest a different approach?

Thanks,
Rhina

This email message and information contained in or attached to this message
may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure and is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient any retransmission, dissemination, printing or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited.
If you received this message in error, please immediately inform the sender by
reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. This footnote also
confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the
presence of computer viruses. Thank you.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l