Re: Thanks re Quark v. FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Thanks re Quark v. FrameMaker
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

I sympathize with those who are using PageMaker for
documentation!

The greatest temptation is to write directly in the
layout view, making little chunks of text here and
there, then linking them.

By far the best way I have found is to write the text
in an editor of some kind, then tend to formatting
after the entire text is placed in the appropriate
column format.

Many limitations exist, though, making PageMaker not
much better than Word! 8:)

If I were going to use such a tool for docs, I'd be
strongly tempted to use InDesign instead. I'm told it
has some XML capability, for example, and I think it
would be a good idea to begin new documentation as
structured docs. That way, if your company were to go
to a content management system at some point, you'd
obviate a great deal of painful migration.

David

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l