Summary of examples of GOOD Technical Writing

Subject: Summary of examples of GOOD Technical Writing
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 9:54:48

Hi all,
Well, my request for examples of really good tech writing elicted only four

* Three ?wow, great question, looking forward to your results? comments.
* One ?I?m working on an article about this topic so you can?t have my
info? response.
* And one bona fide submission. Meg said, ?For the lets-get-this-job-done
documentation, I love The Linux Documentation Project(
http://www.tldp.org). Many authors, many writing styles. Content quality
varies considerably. The bottom line is that the writing is practical, to
the point, and highly on-topic.?
Thanks, Meg!

With that in mind, I?ll simply share my favorites. Most of these are Apple
related, simply because I think that, through the years, the Apple
technical writers have done a wonderful job. But that?s just my opinion.
I?ve sorted these by doc types: Discussion, Reference, and Procedure. Hope
you enjoy,
joe
PS Unfortunately, some of the URLs are really, really long. You might have
to do some cutting & pasting...
------------------------
Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines (one of the core HCI documents):
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/pdf/HIGuidelines.pdf
WebObjects Overview:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/webobjects/WebObjectsOverview/index.html

Reference:
Newton Programmer?s Guide:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/NewtonProgrammerGuide20.PDF
Most of Sun's reference stuff

Procedures:
Apple: Getting Started with HyperCard 2.3:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/software/0306857AHC2.3GS.PDF
NewtonWorks Word Processing User?s Manual:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0306284ANWWPUM.PDF
Apple OpenDoc Learning About OpenDoc:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/software/0340048AODOCTUTORIAL.PDF
Deneba Canvas 8.x User?s Guide:
http://www.deneba.com/cv8help/engine/help.htm (I like the writing, but the
usability of the site leaves much to be desired--a straight PDF would be so
much easier)

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l