News Flash: the US is not the only country in the world.

Subject: News Flash: the US is not the only country in the world.
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:34:00 -0600

Thomas Eagles wrote a reply to various posters in the "slave labor"
thread, in which he raised some interesting points.

But he missed one BIG point: TECHWR-L is not an "American" list.

It's an international forum for tech writers around the world. For many of
them, the challenges faced by tech writers in the US are quite simply not
their problem.

Thomas, your comments, however carefully thought-out they may be, are not
appropriate on this list. They would possibly be appropriate on a list
whose prime concern was the stability of the American marketplace, such as
a union website or some local (and inherently American) organization. But
not here.

More than any nationality, Americans are guilty of a self-absorbed myopia
that causes them to forget or ignore that they're not the only guests at
this party. To post messages that imply that all of TECHWR-L is beseiged
by the same demons you percieve is insensitive, and in this case, rude.

You got troubles, I got troubles. Find an appropriate venue to discuss
them, and you'll find a much more receptive audience.

-Keith Cronin
a proud but embarrassed American

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l