RE: STC backstabbing? (Take II)

Subject: RE: STC backstabbing? (Take II)
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Goober, they're one and the same! Geoff *is* STC, so
> am I, and so are
> you if
> you're a member. STC is a non-profit organization,
> it is what we make it,
> it's not the sort of organization where you stand
> outside the front door
> with your hand out, just because you paid your share
> of the administrative costs.

Please don't ass-u-me that I am a non-contributing
slug. I've been involved with the STC for a while,
even before I started paying dues I was speaking for
my soon-to-be local chapter at local meetings.

I've done a good deal for my chapter. I've spoken at
meetings. I've judged competitions. I've written
articles. I've provided feedback for other members'
articles. I do not consider myself the STC, rather I
consider myself a member who's paid money and is
receiving nothing but the opportunity to also provide
free services to the society.

I'm not looking for pay, or for recognition, or any of
that junk. I'm looking for organized efforts to DO
SOMETHING that actually matters. Sure, the STC does a
good deal in an organized manner, but one thing it
doesn't do is market the profession outside the
profession. I've tried to get this going in the past
but I'm expected to do all the leg work. Isn't there
an administrative group in the STC? Maybe they should
increase the dues a bit and hire on one or two people
to manage things and do some marketing...

I get the impression that many of you see me as just a
whining do-nothing but that couldn't be further from
the truth. The fact is, an individual in the STC can
only do so much. There needs to be a backbone in place
to initiate these things. Otherwise I can ask for help
all I want and get some initial helpers, but in no
time they fizzle out because of family and/or work
obligations, which is perfectly legitimate.

So, again, I want to reiterate that I have and still
do actively contribute to the STC but I see some big
holes needing filling. The first and foremost is a
backbone of resources who are compensated to market
the profession, the society, and to drive involvement.
Otherwise we'll continue to spin our wheels until more
than two people jump onto an initiative and stick with it.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l