RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Careers

Subject: RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Careers
From: "Ed Manley" <edmanley -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:48:18 -0700

Actually, I complained of nothing. I stated, and I believe that I can make a
case for this assertion, that tech writers are, as a class, less respected
and less well paid than many other professions because of the way our
profession has evolved in the computer age. I speak for no group but those
of us who are technical writers involved in the software development
industry. Of that group I believe that I have a pretty good picture, having
been involved intimately since even before its inception.

Repeated salary surveys of the last thirty years will support my contention
on the pay issue, and numerous studies of the industry detail the inception
and explosion of our somewhat ragtag, homegrown profession.

I slam no technical writer. I do recognize that our industry is rife with
poorly prepared and less-than-dedicated wannabe tech writers.

I support entry to the tech writer ranks of any and all who will learn the
craft, work to improve their capability and the state of the art (yep, it's
a profession, skill, an art AND a craft). I encourage writers to work
together to improve the image of tech writers and the technical writing
profession overall.

I mentioned customer service reps and analysts because it has been my
personal experience that most of the tech writers I have worked with were or
want to be one or the other. Your mileage may vary.

Lastly, the amount of personalization seen lately on this list dismays me
greatly. It seems that any statement is taken as an attack on the reader as
an individual. For me to say that the ranks of tech writers are largely
populated with whomever is apparently taken as my saying that you are a
failed whatever posing as a writer. Are you indeed that unsure of yourself
and your profession that any somewhat negative statement, even if correct,
requires a personal call to arms?

Have fun,
Ed

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l