RE: Verifying the source of a quotation

Subject: RE: Verifying the source of a quotation
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:02:36 +0100

Dick wrote:
"A noble man compares and estimates himself by an idea which is higher than
himself; and a mean man, by one lower than himself. The one produces
aspiration; the other ambition, which is the way in which a vulgar man
aspires."
>So, now that I've exhausted Google's sources, short of taking a course in
Latin and
>spending a month at the Bodleian (sp?), what's the best way to go about
tracking
>something like this down?

You can check out the text of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations here:
http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

The Bodleian Library website <g> is here: http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/

It's not unlikely that Henry Ward Beecher would quote Marcus Aurelius - but
www.alltheweb.com (which is my other favourite search engine for tracking
down quotes to source) offers far too many motivational quotesites to make
figuring out who was quoting who was quoting who all that easy.

If it bugs me sufficiently over the weekend, I'll ask my father, who has the
same grab-bag memory as me (and the benefit of a real classical
education)...

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer and Compendium
of Arcane and Useless Information
Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith
my control.
Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l