Page ranges in indexes: Do you use them?

Subject: Page ranges in indexes: Do you use them?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:32:30 -0400

Salan Sinclair wonders: <<Do you use page ranges in indexes?>>

Wherever the concept spans multiple pages. If you're going to do an index,
you should follow standard indexing conventions so as not to confuse its
users.

<<I am now using Frame and doing page ranges in Frame seems very laborious,
even with the IXGen indexing plug-in. It doubles or triples the effort,
because the entries are so hard to review... I'd rather see a good index
without ranges than a poor index with them or no index at all.>>

Anything is better than nothing, of course, but isn't it better to make the
time to do the job right? I'm sure the Framers on this list can help you
with shortcuts.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
Hofstadter's Law--"The time and effort required to complete a project are
always more than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's
Law."

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l