Re: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: Re: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:48:59 -0800

If you are starting to miss, as in "not understand", the engineering
principles, then you might be better off cruising websites and other
sources to get a better handle on Engineering principles.

If, instead, you are "longing" for the engineering principles, you
are as hopeless as I am! As I graduated with a Bachelors in
Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering, and with my HATE of the English
department (one really bad instructor, and their failure to deal with
him), I went into Debate & Speech to fulfill the English requirement
instead.

My technical background layed the foundation for my eventual career
as a TW. It would have been NICE to have some real English background,
but that portion of my backround was instilled by my mother, in spite
of schooling. I may not know how to dangle a participle, but I can
recognize one used improperly.

The logic learned through an engineering background can assist in
any technical topic, whether it's one you know or not. I started
out writing welding & sheetmetal manufacturing instructions, but
the fundamentals can apply to writing software instructions,
launching rockets, or making pharmaceuticals. The components used
will change, but the underlying principles of engineering and
logic are similar enough to apply to a wide range of tech writing
specifics.

The only math I ever use is for creating formulas in spreadsheets
to analyze data, so don't worry about it too much. The SME needs
to be an expert in doing the math, the TW needs to understand it.

Choose the Engineering discipline that excites you the most, and
pursue that one, interest in others can be picked up as you go on.

As an aside on learning general scientific topics, read Science News.
Small weekly magazine with summaries for all science disciplines.
A great way to know what is going on in the world of science.
Expensive, so check it out at a library. Not all have it though.
There may be, but I'm not aware of a similar magazine for Engineering.

CB

***************
Christie wrote:
I graduated college last year with a bachelor's degree in English.
For the past year, I've been editing technical material and doing some
technical writing. I've also been taking some classes for a grad certificate
in tech writing. However, when I look through tech writing job postings,
almost everything requires a strong scientific background or knowledge of
engineering/computing principles. My first year of undergrad was
engineering, but I didn't like the math so I switched to English.
Now I'm starting to miss the engineering principles and wonder if an
associates degree in engineering, on top of my BA in English would come in
handy. But I also have a few courses towards a MA in English.

I'm wondering what would be more beneficial to me in the future and
for a tech writing career...the Master's in English or an associates in
engineering.
Christie
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access