Re: Business Partner Assessment Form

Subject: Re: Business Partner Assessment Form
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:43:54 -0400

"Logue, Jason" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Much earlier I sent out an e-mail asking about Value Assessment Forms for
> bids. Now my boss wants something like that form, except for evaluating
> potential business partners. We've come up with a good deal of questions,
> but I wanted to know if any of you have worked on something like this or
> know of a place where I can go to find information.

Your boss is trying to become an expert in the field for which he
clearly is not suited, merely by substituting a series of questions for
good sound business judgment. In any potential business partnership and
must be a synergy of interests and abilities. This meshing cannot be
evaluated with any degree of accuracy through scoring on a series of
questions. If I am evaluating going into a serious business relationship
one of the techniques that I use is to take the candidate out for a
round of golf. It doesn't matter whether the candidate plays well or
poorly. What does matter is the manner in which this individual conducts
himself during the game. Any four-hour nonbusiness setting can
accomplish the same goal it need not be golf. Alternatively, you can
hire a consultant who has sufficient business experience to be able to
evaluate whether it looks as if there is sufficient synergy for a match
to make sense. (Ahem.) No matter whether you use the services of an
expert or try using strictly empirical data, there is no substitute for
an extended face-to-face meeting. Remember, a partnership is a close
relationship and on a bad day an open collar button can be the mechanism
to trigger a breakup. Now, if you what talking about a strategic
business relationship rather than a true partnership, you may just want
to look at the capability of the other organization to perform what you
would expect them to perform. Once you know what you are looking for the
rest becomes easy. Of course, in order to initiate and/or maintain a
realistic relationship your expectations must also be realistic.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l