Re: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)

Subject: Re: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:00:25 -0600

I think you're missing an important point: The level of literacy of native
English speakers is not uniform. One of the tenets of plain or simplified
English is to tailor the language used to match that of the expected user.

Thus, the instructions you write for a MCSE systems administrator might
not reflect the same sort of language you might use in telling a forklift
operator how to stack a pallet.

We do not all read at the same level. Many productive members of society
find the act of reading difficult, unpleasant, and daunting. You might
call them simpletons; I'll stick with calling them users.

-keith cronin

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l