Re: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)

Subject: Re: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 07:42:00 -0600

>Do any of you have an opinion about using Simplified
or Controlled English?

? I have not had to use it, as my audience does not require it. But I can
definitely think of scenarios where it might be appropriate and/or
necessary.

>What do you feel the impact is to you as a writer?

? It would mean learning and adhering to a new set of rules. I'd imagine
some habits would be hard to break. But it would be an interesting
challenge.

>Do you feel it would help/harm your performance?

? It's reasonable to assume it would slow me down, particularly at first.
Also, it would require a more demanding (and hence, lengthy) editing
process than I usually allow for, which would make deadlines more
challenging to meet.

>What do you think the cost/benefits are to your audience?

? It could be very beneficial, even lifesaving, for the right audience.
For example, in a scenario where heavy machinery is being operated by
personnel who were not hired for their reading prowess.

I would only advocate its use if it were determined to DEFINITELY have a
positive impact on the documentation's effect. Such issues as the literacy
of the user, the need for the docs to be translated, etc. should be
factored into the decision.

However, to simply adopt it because it's a buzzword popular in your office
or your industry would be ill-advised. Refer to the cardinal rule:

Know your audience.

-Keith Cronin

There are two kinds of tech writers in the world: those who excel at
learning new stuff and communicating it to others, and those who already
know everything.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l