RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone

Subject: RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 21:12:28 -0700

I think Jim brings up a good point. If I'm using one product to produce
most of my writing then I'll bother to learn more of the shortcuts to
complete repetitive tasks. However, I find that if I switch tools for
awhile, I forget many of the shortcuts learned for the other product.
Word's shortcuts tend to stick because I'm usually using it for team
documents in conjunction with whatever doc tool I'm using. I've also
discovered that the longer I work with computers, the fewer shortcuts I
learn, and those I do learn tend to be navigational because I'm moving
all over in the docs or between ten different windows. They just change
too often from program to program. Ctrl-Tab shifts you from open doc to
open doc in Frame but in Word it inserts a tab. Sheesh!

I don't waste brain power trying to learn them for things like Outlook.
Yes, I'm constantly attaching files to e-mails to send them out, but
I've got nice visuals and menus so that I don't have to remember the
shortcuts specific to Outlook. I will take advantage of Alt-key combos
more frequently than shortcuts. As far as dragging and dropping files, I
avoid it because I've too often accidentally *moved* something that I
intended to *copy.*

No idea if I qualify more right- than left-brained!

Lisa