Re: Automated/Overnight Word->PDF

Subject: Re: Automated/Overnight Word->PDF
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:19:23 -0700

Paul Moloney wrote:

> ...I need to have a situation where overnight, a
> PDF version of each specified Word document
> is created and placed into a specified directory.
> I'd preferably like to have the PDF created with
> automatic bookmarks, if possible.

Acrobat offers a feature in which any Postscript file dropped into a
specified "watch folder" gets distilled to PDF automatically.

1. Write a batch job that prints the specified Word files to a
Postscript file in the "watch folder."

If you can't get a batch job to do it, you might need to delve
into a bit of VBA. (You could probably record most of it as a
Word macro, then fine tune the results.)

2. Use the Scheduled Tasks control panel to run the batch job
(or Word VBA) every night.

3. If Acrobat won't put the finished PDFs where you need them,
schedule a second batch job, that moves them, to run a little
later.

Let us know how it turns out...

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l