Re: How to fend off a tech writer

Subject: Re: How to fend off a tech writer
From: DaveC <voicebox -at- dnai -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:17:35 -0700

Exactly. Communication with writers needs to be understood by programmers to be part of their job.

One company I worked at, the first technical writer in the early days of the company (wrote the first user manual) ended up being a VP and major stockholder. He made sure that in the job description of every engineer was a line that goes something like "Aid and assist publications department by providing time and information as needed to develop effective documentation. This includes, but is not limited to, information transfer (brain dump), question-and-answer sessions, meetings, document reviews... ." Never had a problem dealing with the SMEs there.

Never, in the 12-plus years since leaving that company have I found another that put similar requirements in engineer job descriptions.

Dave
--
Dave Carpenter

Whatever you wish for me,
May you have twice as much.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l