RE: Not Writing for Translation (was RE: Re(2): Number/Figure)

Subject: RE: Not Writing for Translation (was RE: Re(2): Number/Figure)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:53:58 +0100

And of all those practices you describe, I think the main one that deserves
consideration is refraining from using idiom, or metaphorical language of
any kind, in a technical document which is intended for use outside your own
culture. Translating a language is comparitively simple: translating a
cultural idiom is sometimes far from simple. What's clear and obvious to me
in my culture is not necessarily either clear or obvious to you in yours,
regardless of how familiar we both are with the English language. It may
seem an unnecessary restriction, but think about it: before 1997, how many
people outside the UK would have understood if I'd said we don't want the
full monty?

Horses for courses. (Less idiomatically, I mean that the audience for whom
the document is being written should determine the kind of language that you
use: the wider the audience, the less metaphorical.)

Jane Carnall