RE: How about *good* pre-employment tests?

Subject: RE: How about *good* pre-employment tests?
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:54:40 -0500

My last job (writing for an interface design firm)
was great, and I really enjoyed their version of a
writing test - they asked me to provide instructions
for using a telephone, assuming that it was 1888 and
they had just been invented.

As I recall, I had a lot of fun thinking about how
the old phones worked (crank the handle to generate
current to buzz the operator, etc.) We had just such
a phone in my house when I was a kid. Maybe that
amusing take on the instructions got me my "real"
interview.

The next part of the "testing" process involved
spending some time working with an interface design
team. They didn't pay me for the time, but they flew
me out, sent a town car to pick me up at the airport,
provided lunch, and generally treated me like a star.
(Can you tell this was before the dot-bomb? :-> ) I
listened/participated in the design meeting, took
copious notes, and "wrote up" the design. Apparently,
they liked my work enough to hire me.

Anyway, it was a great place to work. Still miss it.

Dan D

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema RTEMS