One graphic that good for screen and print?

Subject: One graphic that good for screen and print?
From: "Mark Emson" <mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 21:27:37 +0100

Hi all,

Main Question.

What is a good DPI, that can be used as a compromise between graphics that
must be both good on screen and in print?

Scenario:

I'm doing a job for a company that has supplied a macro driven, Word
template to create it's docs.
I type in the text and press the convert button to turn the doc into a
company customised HTM file.
I press another button and the doc now turns into a re-formatted Word file.
The new word file is then processed into a PDF.

The problem comes when using graphics. I can only place graphics in a single
folder referenced by the original templated doc. Because they are to be
turned into web pages the graphics need to be quite small in file size.
However, when the processed PDF is printed the graphics look terrible,
especially if they contain any text annotations.

I know that by rights I should really have two images, one at high res for
print the other low res for screen. Unfortunately this isn't an option.
I can only use GIFs and JPGs
I believe that Word uses 96 DPI as standard to display images but does this
have any bearing on how it deals with images of a higher or lower DPI?

In short, does anyone have any recommendations for getting the best of both
worlds?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Emson.
mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com