RE: Question: Word 2000 VBA - Can I program this?

Subject: RE: Question: Word 2000 VBA - Can I program this?
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 20:31:34 -0400

Annamarie asked about writing a VBA program to copy information from PowerPoint into Word.

It would be difficult to write a program from PowerPoint to control both PowerPoint and Word (or the reverse). But you could write one program to do the PowerPoint side and another to do the Word side... if you assign your programs to buttons, you would just have to switch between the two programs and click the buttons.

I have been a programmer, but I will recommend a shortcut that even I use... first record as much as you can of your activities as a macro. If you can record the entire action sequence, then you don't even have to mess with the VBA code. If you can't record everything, do as much as you can and then edit the VBA code.

For example, I like to create templates that prompt for information and then put the information in appropriate places in the document. I do this by first setting up anything I need for the automation (e.g., bookmarks that I will need to go to, dummy text to replace in a find/replace,etc.), and then recording a macro where I just put text that I type into the correct locations. Finally, I edit the macro to prompt for the text instead of using what I typed in during recording.

Good luck!

Michele Marques
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques