RE: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing

Subject: RE: Programming / scripting languages in tech-writing
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 07:21:19 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:
>Does anybody else on the list use a programming or scripting language
> in their work? If so, which one? And what sort of tasks do you use
> them for?"

Word VBA macro programming -
(1) creating templates for non-techwriters. Usually when they start one of my templates they are prompted for information that populates part of the document. I may also include a toolbar with additional commands.

(2) cleaning up text files. I once had to regularly convert between two formats... as format "A" was updated and the utility I used was not, I ended up using Word macro programming to script the cleanup of the converted file in format "B".

Javascript, Perl, ColdFusion -
Javasscript and Perl are mostly for my web development work. The ColdFusion is just a few ColdFusion commands I used for the web-based help for a ColdFusion web-based app. Among other things, I used this for single-sourcing some of the help pages.

Other programming/scripting languages -
Well, I haven't used anything else that recently, but I have used them for non-techwriting jobs (or the non-techwriting part of jobs) and for hobbies. For example, when I worked at a business school, one of my duties was writing SPSS programs (statistical programming package) to analyze course evaluations. For a few years I used to run a text-based internet game. I no longer remember why I used awk (fix the database?), but I did modify the server's c-code to include my own mods. And let's not forget that long ago I worked as a programmer.

- Michele Marques
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr