Re: Request for Assistance from Editors

Subject: Re: Request for Assistance from Editors
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote:

> Perhaps I should have included in my post the fact that the test was for
> freelance copy editing, not a full-time job. Normally, I would agree with
> you.

Without seeing the test (you can send it to me if you want, though I don't
promise to take it <g>), it's hard to know what the issues are. My first guess
would be that they're using some sort of style guide with which you are not
(and possibly cannot be) familiar. I mean if you are used to following Chicago,
and they have an inhouse guide based on, say, MLA but with a lot of quirks, it
could be (deliberately?) set up so you can't possibly succeed.

It's hard for me to imagine, though, that an experienced writer/editor couldn't
pass a vanilla editing test.

Another possibility is that their standards are impossibly high and that no one
could pass them. Still, I think Bruce's answer is applicable. If they don't
want to hire you or make use of you, what does it matter what the real reason
is?

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/14/02
--The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.--

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr