Re: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Interesting Article... fewest jobs lost in Tech Writing
From: "M Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:36:31 +0100

Jane says it all
If the market is competitive and the software complex, then the docs are
part of the product, even if the management team don't think so
"Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com> wrote in message
news:153272 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> I see your fine distinction, and such as it is <g> I take your point.
OTOH,
> I have been using Word professionally (on and off) for my entire career as
> technical writer, and I *have* read the Word documentation. (The online
> help, that is. I used to help my dad *with* the Word documentation back
when
> they used to produce a cr -at- ppy manual.) I have also read a bunch of stuff
> that ought to be in the official Word documentation if Bill Gates had
> one-billionth as much common sense as he has US dollars - like the website
> with the Seven Laws of outline numbering that I cited earlier today.
>
> You can use Word, badly, without ever reading the documentation: it has a
> sufficiently good user interface for that purpose. You can, with
sufficient
> experience (=hard knocks) learn to use Word well without ever reading the
> documentation.
>
> With a sufficiently good user interface, you can figure out a lot of
things
> with a GUI product without reading the documentation, and increasingly GUI
> might as well stand for Good User Interface.
>
> However, I write documentation for a product with a GUI: and it isn't a
bad
> GUI at all, as these things go. But the things that you can do with this
> product are sufficiently complex, and it matters enough to my company that
> they are done well, that no GUI is good enough to school the users through
> the Kindergarten of Hard Knocks. Is the documentation part of the product?
> haven't asked if that's how they think of it. Will they willingly ship a
> version of the product without the documentation? Nope. For all practical
> intents and purposes, the documentation is part of the product.
>
> Jane Carnall
> The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing
in
> a small manual. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine
> alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically
and
> outwith my control.

> E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data
corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital
Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be
inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining
written confirmation.

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr